Barb's path to becoming a lawyer was unconventional. After a successful 16 year career in Mortgage Banking in Minnesota, she applied to and was accepted by the University of Texas School of Law at the age of 39 while raising two young children. She graduated with honors in 2002, followed by a clerkship with the Third Court of Appeals as a Briefing Attorney. After completing her clerkship, Barb began her legal career as an associate at Hughes and Luce, LLP but found her passion as a prosecutor with the Travis County Attorney's office. During her 14 years as a Court Chief in Travis County, and later as a Caldwell County Assistant District Attorney, Barb handled thousands of cases, including DWI, assault, domestic violence, drugs, sex crimes, property crimes and more.
Barb is a compassionate attorney whose experience as a prosecutor gives her an advantage representing clients. Deeply enmeshed in the Central Texas Criminal Justice Community, Barb brings her experience and knowledge to every case. She understands how the system works and her empathy, coupled with her ability to communicate, enables her to fight for outstanding results.
When not practicing law, Barb enjoys spending time with her husband, her three children and their families, and playing yahtzee on Zoom with her grandson. She also loves all things outdoors - hiking, skiing, and traveling.
- University of Texas School of Law, JD 2002 (Honors)
- St. Edwards University, BA Psychology 1999 (Sum Cum Laude)
- United States District Court for the Western District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS & RECOGNITION
- State Bar of Texas
- Texas District and County Attorney's Association (2004-2020)
- Criminal Defense Attorney, The Law Office of Barbara Rowan, April 2020 - Present.
- Assistant District Attorney, Caldwell County District Attorney's Office (September 2018-April 2020)
- Assistant County Attorney, Travis County Attorney's Office (August 2004-September 2018)
- Associate, Hughes and Luce, LLP (2003-2004)
- Briefing Attorney, Third Court of Appeals (2002-2003)